enigmail@mozdev.org

[Enigmail] Re : Unexpected MS-DOS 8.3 file name in decrypted attachments Anthony FERRARI Tue Apr 13 10:01:21 2010

Thanks for your reply ...

>> I assume you're not on an ancient OS such as Win98, right?

Yes, XP Pro SP3

>> But you might want to check your gpg.conf (or Enigmail Advanced Options
>> - -> Additional Command Line Parameters) - to me it sounds as if GnuPG
>> replaces the file name: check for "mangle-dos-filenames".

In fact, my gpg.conf was initially empty. I tried adding
"-no-mangle-dos-filenames" with no visible effects.

>> You may check viewing the sent message's source code (Ctrl-U) and the
>> Output of Enigmail's debug facility (see Advanced Options) when
>> "Decrypt
& Open"ing the received message.

Source code is correct (following header followed by the base64 encoding of the
encrypted file ...):

--------------000201050002050703030406
[...]

"Decrypt & Open" does not generate any trace at all (no debug log file
generated). But the issue is not while decrypting and opening in Thunderbird
(this works, Enigmail should use the header information above).
I think the issue is when encrypting the file (base64 encoded part of the
message after the header does not contains the full file name but the mangled
one).
If I encrypt using GnuPG in command line (either in Cygwin or DOS console) the
file name is not mangled (assuming I reproduce the same command with the same
arguments but it is not guaranteed).