Re: [e-users] Confusing desktop for GNOME done by e17 Sachiel Sun Aug 16 14:00:28 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Ralf Mardorf<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Iván :)
>
> Iván Briano (Sachiel) wrote:
>>
>> And how should those defaults be defined? If desktop icons are on by
>> default, there's people asking how to remove them. If they're off, people
>> asks how to enable them.
>> The current state of this is not ideal, we know, but no one has the time
>> to work on supporting them in any other way, so for now, logging into e17
>> and enabling desktop icons will produce files that will also show on other
>> DEs. That's our current reality, and regardless of any principle or ideal,
>> if
>> the manpower is not there, it won't be fixed.
>>

> I do understand this, but if the default is not to add links to the desktop,
> than there will be no links on desktops of other DEs ;). For me it's solved
> ;). Try to empathize with a newbie ;). What do you guess will a newbie feel,
> if the GNOME desktop is a mess after installing e17? And it won't disappear
> on the GNOME desktop after disabling it for e17! In addition the 'link' to
> /home is done in a way GNOME ignores it, while the other two links that
> still will be there after disabling, /tmp and /, can be used by GNOME too.

Yes, for YOU it's solved, but for all the other newbies that install e17 and
don't check their gnome desktop, it won't when they want desktop icons.
Stick long enough in the IRC channels and you'll see how often that question
is brought up.
I'm not saying it doesn't need fixing, but what you are asking for requires
developers time, which we lack.
Also, I don't understand what you mean with the links being ignored or used
by Gnome.