entombedgame@googlegroups.com

[Entombed] Dual Wielding and weapon breaking Shadow Dragon Thu Aug 20 20:01:40 2009

Just wanted to throw in my two cents on dual wielding.

While its not impossible for a human to wield two large weapons, or semi-large
anyway, aka scimitars, longswords, sabres, etc, it would be really tough to do.
I think this should honestly be a skill that only certain classes should have,
for example, a mage shouldn't in my opinion be competently wielding two
daggers. My reasoning is that in combat, its hard enough to control one weapon,
much less two. You have to concentrate on each arm sepperately, force each limb
to act differently than the other limb, especially when fighting multiple
opponents. Sure you could just wade into battle swinging two longswords like
cleavers, but with all the realism put into entombed combat I imagine nothing
that inexperienced and dangerous is depicted while in combat. I do agree humans
shouldn't be able to dual wield large weapons, I imagine a large long sword as
it is now as more of a heavy broadsword, or on the larger end, a greatsword.
Two broadswords is pushing the bounds of realism into unrealistic fantasy
teritory, and two greatswords, well, given that it's a two handed weapon
anyway, you'd need a couple of extra arms or the strength of a giant. I don't
think there should be any direct distinction between what can be used as a
primary and secondary weapon, that's pushing the boundries of realism in the
other direction since technically anyone could pick up any two weapons and
learn to wield them effectively provided they were strong enough. But I do
think it needs to be limited to a select few combat oriented classes rather
than having everyone be able to wield two weapons.

As for weapon breaking, if its dead set going to be put in the game, I strongly
agree with the need for one of two things. Either a skill in certain classes to
allow for repairs, I've always hated having a really nice weapon break with no
chance of recovery, or the introduction of professions that would be sepperate
from classes. You wouldn't necessarily be able to level them up, they could
just be things you did before you went into the dungeon, aside from your
obvious class training. You could have things like blacksmith, which would give
you the repairing skill, merchant which could help you get better deals in
shops, etc. Just an idea, and I imagine given all the content already planned
its more likely that a skill will be introduced to classes, but yeah, just
throwing it out there.