fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com

Re: few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop Jesse Keating Thu Jul 10 21:37:56 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 12:02 -0600, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> but being as /sbin paths are
> meant for administrative tasks, I actually do see having them as part of
> a regular user's PATH a potential security risk.

That's completely bogus.  A "hidden path" offers 0 security.  If you
don't want your users running them, set the permissions on the binary,
or better yet, have the binary check the EUID of the caller.  If
non-root, display that the command is for root users, but also allow the
user to get --help and other usage or informational output from the
command.  Just don't allow non-root users to apply anything.  There
really is no reason I can think of to hide this crap in a different
directory.  It just adds needless complication and confusion.

--
Jesse Keating