fedora-devel-list@redhat.com

Re: time to resurrect red hat database? Steve Barnhart Fri Oct 27 18:02:45 2006

On 10/27/06, Marius Andreiana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
5 years ago Red Hat introduced RHDB
http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2001/press_database.html
(PostgreSQL + graphical tools with commercial support)

After a while it got really quiet about it, I thought because of
agreements with Oracle. Given the recent Oracle attacks against RH,
would it be time for RH to resurrect red hat database?

Umm I would think Red Hat would use JBoss above anything else as they
did after all go through all the motions to purchase it, it would only
make sense.

PostgreSQL has a lot of enterprise features. Tools like Visual Explain
also help developers. A critical piece for developers is still missing -
physical modeling diagram building tool, with ddl changes (e.g. dia
+zongle) and visual code editing for stocked
procedures/functions/packages. However, PostgreSQL is enterprise ready
and seems it's a good time for RH to market it and start new open source
tools for developers (maybe as Eclipse plugins).

What's the RH developers opinion?

Thanks,
--
Marius Andreiana