fortran@gcc.gnu.org

Possible Buglet in gfortran Release 143193 (and 4.3.1 and 4.3.2) Tom Browder Fri Jan 23 17:00:27 2009

I am involved in porting a large code base from one compatible with
Portland Group's pgf77 to gfortran.  I am finding possible gfortran
bugs as I deal with warnings and errors and compare results between
the two compilers (I'm using pg v. 6.1 now working from home with an
old license but my company is using pg v. 7.0 for their
distributables).

The following does not yield any warnings from gfortran but it throws
a warning with pgf77:

      program main
      real pi
      pi = acos(-1.); ! <== spurious semicolon
      end

PGFTN-W-0025-Illegal character (;) - ignored (semi.f: 3)
  0 inform,   1 warnings,   0 severes, 0 fatal for main
PGFTN/x86 Linux/x86 6.1-6: compilation completed with warnings

Note that if the semicolon is replaced with a period both compilers
throw an error.
I'll file a bug report if this is a valid bug.

-Tom

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida
USA