freebsd-current@freebsd.org

Re: NICs not in GENERIC Alexander Leidinger Wed Feb 22 01:00:27 2012

Quoting Navdeep Parhar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (from Wed, 22 Feb 2012 01:55:40 +0000):

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 05:44:01PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:

On Feb 21, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Navdeep Parhar wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 03:56:56PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a specific reason that the following NICs are not (or shall
>> not be) in GENERIC (at least on i386)?
>
> No specific reason for these two:
>
>> - if_cxgb
>> - if_cxgbe
>
> But I do prefer to load them as modules (and as late as possible --
> after sysctl.conf has been processed and any nmbclusters, nmbjumboXX
> settings have taken affect).
>
> Other than root over NFS, is there any reason to have NIC drivers in
> GENERIC?

GENERIC is the kernel profile that's used during installation, and the
installer (at one point in time) supported installing over NFS and FTP.

If the installer itself can come up without the NIC driver it should be
able to load any NIC driver KLD it wants and then reach the "install
media" (NFS, FTP, etc.) over the network.  Or is it that the installer's
root fs didn't have any KLDs back then?

Do we have support for that in our installer?

Anyway, the case where a cxgb* NIC is the only or preferred NIC (no idea if such systems exist) and the admin wants to net-boot into the installer is an use-case we should not overlook.

BTW: I prefer to load a lot via modules myself, and I want to get a modular kernel config into FreeBSD. The work on the modular kernel config let me discover those NICs which are not in GENERIC. Apart from that only WAN/leased-line/pseudo-NICs and 2 wireless drivers which need firmware from ports are not in GENERIC.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Bill Dickey is learning me his experience.
                -- Yogi Berra in his rookie season