freebsd-geom@freebsd.org

Re: RFC: Project geom-events Lev Serebryakov Mon Oct 10 10:00:18 2011

Hello, Miroslav.
You wrote 5 октября 2011 г., 12:24:06:

>>    What RAID do you mean exactly? geom_stripe? geom_mirrot? geom_raid?
>> Something else?
> I am mostly using geom_mirror.
  [SKIPPED]
  Oh, I see. Unfortunately, there is no GEOM metadata infrastructire,
GEOMs are too generic for this. I could design some meta-meta
framework, and unify all RAID classes with "intenral" metadtata
(geom_stripe, geom_concat, geom_mirror, geom_raid3 and my external
geom_raid5) to use it. In such case it will work -- kernel will not
pass providers with "ditry" metadtata to any GEOMs, but owners, for
tasting. Of course, classes like geom_part and geom_raid could not be
changed in such way -- they are forced to use pre-defined metadata
formats.

  It is good idea, but it should be separate project. And, yes, it
 will change metadata format for these GEOMs, so it will not be
 backward-compatible.

  And, yes, it seems to be much more intrusive change in GEOM
subsystem (because it will change tasting sequence), and should be
supervised by other developers from very beginning.

  I could write proposal in near future, with some design notes.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>