freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org

Re: [RFT] Major snd_hda rewrite Doug Barton Fri Feb 03 02:01:11 2012

On 01/14/2012 13:25, Steve Kargl wrote:
> Remove dvd insert music cd in drive, 'cdcontrol play'.  The
> drive is reading the cd and 'cdcontrol status' indicates
> that it is playing.  No sound.

The way that this was explained to me (and I'm certainly no expert) is
that in the ATA-CAM world the only way the access method used by
cdcontrol will be able to play the music is if there is a direct (wired)
connection from the cd player to the sound card, like we had back in the
80's. :)  Other tools (such as vlc, mplayer, etc.) use the cdda://
method of access, which does not rely on the wire.

(As I understand it) this also explains why dvds work, but cds don't.

hth,

Doug

--

        You can observe a lot just by watching. -- Yogi Berra