Re: No SMB/Samba support on Windows Home Editions Steve Franks Mon Apr 30 18:05:23 2007
1) Windows "Home" editions (including XP and Vista) have support for SMB protocol disabled in Active Directory Domain Connections functionality! Is this true? ...
I've been doing this for a long time (just not with Vista), but what was said is just as true for XP, so I assume nothing further is disabled in vista. There's been alot of replies over the weeked, but I don't think any cuts to the heart of the matter. * They are just telling you you can't have a "domain" or "active directory", we actually ran one for a while, and the maintenence cost to keep the thing happy was one of the factors that made me learn fbsd. * When someone said 'peer to peer', I think they were really talking about a "workgroup" as opposed to a domain - it's not really peer to peer, afaik, but the analogy works. 1) Just set your 'home' box to a random 'workgroup' in the network setup - you are not going to use it anyway. 2) Get your smb box running. 3) Map a network drive in windows, and use the IP for the smb box. I have NEVER had a 'workgroup' function correctly. Boxes all wired on the same 100-T switch, and they still can't see eachother? Amazing. Just use the IP adress (i.e. \\192.168.1.xyz\mysmbshare) to map the drive and you will never have a problem. Oh, and as you are on a fbsd box, I assume the capitalization of 'mysmbshare' must be correct, although samba might 'fix' that for you. I just followed the instructions in the handbook and samba.org, and had things working in an hour or two. Steve _______________________________________________ [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
- No SMB/Samba support on Windows Home Editions L Goodwin 2007/04/27
- RE: No SMB/Samba support on Windows Home Editions GARRISON, TRAVIS J. 2007/04/27
- RE: No SMB/Samba support on Windows Home Editions L Goodwin 2007/04/27
- Re: No SMB/Samba support on Windows Home Editions Derek Ragona 2007/04/27
- Re: No SMB/Samba support on Windows Home Editions Andrea Venturoli 2007/04/27
- Re: No SMB/Samba support on Windows Home Editions L Goodwin 2007/04/27
- Re: No SMB/Samba support on Windows Home Editions Steve Franks 2007/04/30 <=
- Re: No SMB/Samba support on Windows Home Editions Marc Rocque 2007/04/30