freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Re: Info and questions about Brother[tm] multifunction machine Da Rock Wed Feb 22 19:00:07 2012

On 02/23/12 06:23, Warren Block wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Paul Macdonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 21/02/2012 22:33, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
Port 25 is apparently implementing _something_ that sort-of vaguely acts like an SMTP server. However it appears to me that it only accepts e-mail
for one very specific email address,<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, where the '...'
part is actually a long (unique?) string of letter and numbers that I found on one of the config printout pages that I generated when I was installing this thing. I have no idea what this is all about. I successfully sent a short test e-mail to that address, manually typing in all of the necessary SMTP commands (via telnet to port 25) and nothing whatsoever happened. I ha
kind-of been expecting that what I sent (via SMTP) would be printed, but it just didn't happen. Maybe I need to sent it a MIME-encoded message instead
(?)
I doubt you can email it print jobs...

Well, I can't think of any other reason why the printer would be running
an SMTP _server_.  I mean it isn't as if it is going to be handling
outgoing e-mail for anybody.

Scan to email would use it. Possibly also it could email supplies status messages also, even to an arbitrary non-local address. "Dear owner, hope your vacation is going well. Just wanted to remind you I'm low on yellow toner. Also, I think I heard a noise downstairs. It's probably nothing."
Scanning to email and status updates don't require a server as such, and in the interests of security they generally don't.

What I have noted before (despite my brainfart on 9100, excuse me; I was sure I had known it by another name) is that IF the machine is multifunction and can fax, then it would need a smtp server to email to fax. To do this it needs to _receive_ email, not just send. There is usually a driver utility that knows how to speak to it though, but it should be easy to hack.

As evidence I checked my printer and it can send email status messages and has no smtp server. Telnet is normal (it is usually secured and used by a qualified technician), and is used to configure other options and nvram settings that may not be available on the menu.