freebsd-x11@freebsd.org

Re: x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga: current issues Warren Block Tue May 20 18:03:23 2008

On Fri, 17 Jan 2008, Peter Much wrote:

So, while the matters concerning ports/117726 (which looks to me
concerning more or less the question if one is willing to use xrandr)
seem to be widely discussed, the other problem (ports/116851, i.e.
the card not reading BIOS information), seems now to be in the status
"closed unsolved", and no one seems to care about anymore.(?!)

The bug with xorg not reading the MGA video BIOS is an old X bug. The next port version of xorg on FreeBSD should use libpciaccess, which will make that hack unnecessary. Leaving 116851 open would be a bit misleading, since it's not a FreeBSD bug.

4. As there seems to exist the opinion that this problem belongs
to Xorg maintainers (and as I have the strong opinion that before
creating fixes one should figure out what made the problem arise
in the first place - especially with things that did already work
at an earlier time): is there an involvement of Xorg maintainers
in this matter? (I searched, but did not find any comment on
that)

I've encouraged peole with modeline problems to either enter bug reports in bugs.freedesktop.org or contact Tilman Sauerbeck. I can't find any mga modeline bug reports there, maybe just searching badly.

A few days ago I sent an email to Tilman Sauerbeck about the modeline problem, but it's hard to provide specifics when the bug is in a feature I don't use. Hopefully others have also contacted him.

It would be nice to get the problems fixed before the next xorg release so we don't have to go through the xrandr-1.2 pain all over again.

If anyone wants to work on mga-1.9.100 directly, I'd be willing to help test. Come to think of it, a test case that demonstrates the modeline problem would be nice.