geowanking@geowanking.org

Re: [Geowanking] Advice needed for new course in geography Eric Wolf Mon Jul 18 17:01:06 2011

I would entirely skip the "installing WAMP", deploying server/client apps,
and iPhone SDK stuff. I'd rather not see young geographers thinking they
have to install WAMP to build something on the web. I had a PhD student
recently ask me if ArcServer would run on her laptop. I asked her why she
needed it. The answer was she needed to share some data on the web with
subjects in her dissertation research. All she really needed was Geocommons.

And the iPhone SDK is far too complex for a non-programmer to do any thing
in a semester much less with other stuff to do too.

Three things I would recommend, if you want to go further rather than deeper
(at the risk of making the class "Google 101":

1. Google Fusion Tables
2. Hadoop/MapReduce
3. Google Earth Engine

Another perspective is that these are technologies that are on the horizon.
Setting up a server is so  last decade.

-Eric