greasemonkey-dev@googlegroups.com

[greasemonkey-dev] Re: I'm on break. Johan Sundström Wed Feb 25 12:00:45 2009

Anthony: thanks for all the effort you put in, and have a restful
break. We'll try to keep the ship moving forward in your absense,
without taking in too much water.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Olivier Cornu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It is also true that, as you appeared to be the most active maintainer
> during this period, i've forwarded you quite a lot of patches/tickets
> for review/comment lately.

Ow. The practice of hogging a member privately, at your own initiative
and without his/her explicit consent, is never advisable. Please send
that kind of thing to this list instead, and always respect the lack
of takers that willingly respond to inquiry, if you receive no
feedback.

Contributing to a project is good, but depleting its resources (often
measured in terms of available time and energy of its developers) is
damaging. Always strive to be a net gain to a project you partake in,
and listen for signs to the opposite.

> It has never been my intent to push you out of greasemonkey development,
> all the contrary. If there is anything i can do to help you revert this
> decision (preferably without stopping my contributions to GM), please
> let me know: i'll happily do it.

Finding a balance where you amount to no net cost to others on the
project will likely be the important part of that. Do not expect
Anthony's guidance to doing so: mentoring someone to learn
low-expenditure communications is costly, and has yet to see much
results, in how you have responded to attempted constructive feedback
in this department, from all of me, Aaron, Gareth, and Anthony. It is
however commonly the case that people pop out of here for off time
when there is just too much going on at the moment, and pop back in
later on, as circumstances change, in their lives and in the climate
here.

Being a handful of admins here helps us keep both some continuity and
coverage, when someone is on a sabbatical.

> Back to the important part: please don't leave because of me.
> I'm sure we can work something out so that we can cooperate without
> giving you more work than your current agenda/desires allow.

Just be attentive to the continuous feedback you get from all list
members about how to approach development and discussion, and things
will eventually fall more into place. You may want to take some of
your time to re-read all on- and off-list communications since you
came to Greasemonkey while doing so. The volume of it alone might
teach you something about the cost to all list members too.

Anyway, learn from everything that happens -- including this -- and
know that we all value people helping out with Greasemonkey
development. There is an art to doing it as a team, and how to make
that work takes some practice.

--
 / Johan Sundström, http://ecmanaut.blogspot.com/