help-make@gnu.org

Re: Specific C Compiler with GNU make John Calcote Mon Jul 13 12:01:00 2009

Hi Eduardo,

On 7/13/2009 8:10 AM, Eduardo Sorribas wrote:
Hello.

I have some time using GNU Make, and It has always been ok to me. It's just that I want to do something I hadn't needed to do, I need to compile using a mekefile and another compiler different to GCC. How can I do that? I know there is a CC variable but I dont know if i should set it manually. Thank you very much in advance.
The built-in implicit make rule for compiling C source files to object files uses $(CC) as the compiler. The default value of CC is simply cc, which is defined in the /usr/bin directory (on Linux systems) as the platform's preferred variant of gcc.

Make users can use the command:

  $ make CC=abc

to explicitly build using a different C compiler.

Regards,
John