ietf-imapext@imc.org

Re: CONDSTORE plus UID EXPUNGE undefined? Adrien W. de Croy Thu Mar 29 04:00:19 2012

 actually we don't nest locks in our implementation of move for this very reason. but for a DB-based index, move can be as simple as an update query on the folder field for a message. Adrien

------ Original Message ------
From: "Arnt Gulbrandsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Adrien W. de Croy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Bron Gondwana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 29/03/2012 11:16:09 p.m.
Subject: Re: CONDSTORE plus UID EXPUNGE undefined?
Bron is right, at least for some architectures. But his argument is
really the same as I've heard umpteen times for move: Carrying out the
copy/store/expunge sequence without the lock COPY can drop early has too
many failure modes and handling them requires too much clientside code.

Having a lock gives you the advantages of the lock at the cost of the lock.

Arnt