ivtv-users@ivtvdriver.org

Re: [ivtv-users] Which linux app to watch the mpeg-2 stream "live"? Mark Paulus Wed May 23 12:02:35 2007

yugandhar gv wrote:
Hi ,
I have the problem when capturing the video from the card. Can u just tell me how u have created the device file /dev/video0 for that we have install some module are what.
          when i do the same step i am getting the following error:
          cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg
         Error: /dev/video0 No such device

What kind of video card are you trying to capture video from?  Are you
using a Hauppauge PVR-150/PVR-250/PVR-350/PVR-500? Or do you have some other kind of card?

The lspci -v command should show what kind of card you have:

02:07.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416)
MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
       Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 250
       Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
       Capabilities: <access denied>

02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416)
MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
       Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 150
       Memory at ec000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
       Capabilities: <access denied>

If you have one of the Hauppauge cards, then you will need to install the ivtv modules (usually, if you have the modules built,
you can just do a 'modprobe ivtv').  If you are already doing
this, then please do a 'dmesg', and cut/paste the portion of the
dmesg output between the 'START INIT IVTV' and 'END INIT IVTV' messages.