java-dev@lists.apple.com

Re: OpenJDK OS X port? Hani Suleiman Fri Apr 20 00:05:44 2007

Right, openJDK doesn't even run java5 fully yet, and you honestly expect them to have java6 on OSX by the time leopard ships? I'd be stunned if they managed java6 on *any* platform by that time, nevermind OSX.

I think the odds of someone doing that are slim to none, evidently many people don't seem to realise the effort it takes to port a JDK and ensure it passes the TCK.

Even if my some miracle this happened, how many people do you think would use such a JDK? You couldn't call it Java for one thing, as it wouldn't pass the TCK without the awt bits. At best it'd be a novelty freakshow kinda item, something the odd hobbyist will install once then forget about, because there's no way in hell any sane person would use such a thing in a production environment.

Many industries are still pondering whether they should switch to Java5, I really don't understand this obsession with Java6, sure it'd be nice, but having to wait six months isn't much of a big deal in the grand scheme of things. We all waited forever for Java5, and the world, surprisingly, didn't end then either.