java-dev@lists.apple.com

Re: Color tray icons possible? Erik Mattheis Mon Apr 27 20:04:56 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 6:20 PM, Mike Swingler wrote:

On Apr 23, 2009, at 6:21 AM, Stamenkovic Florijan wrote:

On Apr 22, 2009, at 20:37, Erik Mattheis wrote:

I definitely agree that color should not be the ONLY indicator, but it can be an extremely useful indicator for folks who are not color-blind. My current use of the icon is totally cosmetic - just a user-selectable icon in several available color choices - but I can envision a utility where the color could convey meaning as an alternative to different shapes or other visual indicator.

I believe that little snitch's net activity monitor uses two bars, one green, one red, to indicate incoming / outgoing traffic. For example. While it could be done in grayscale, it would be far less clear.

This is a very reasonable example. iPulse also uses color in a user- configurable way in spots where text won't fit.

My main concern is that Apple's implementation behaves in a significantly different way than all the other platforms I've tested. I agree with the reasoning behind converting the icons to grayscale, and have no problem with this being the default behavior, but I think there's still some value in providing a way to preserve the color.

I think that Apple should leave this as a guideline, and not enforce it, especially since Apple itself violates it when necessary. In that sense I perceive this definitively as a bug. It is impossible to enforce good third-party design. Apple can only facilitate and guide it. And if your app junks up the interface, the odds are that the market will reject it. I would most definitively kick anything flashy or distracting out of the tray.

System.setProperty("apple.awt.SystemTray.EnableColorIcons", "true");

By making it an opt-in, I'd hope that most folks will think carefully about why and how they should use color in the Mac OS X menu bar.

Fantastic! Thanks.

--
Erik