java-dev@lists.apple.com

Java is deprecated on Mac OS X as of 10.6 Update 3! Jonathan Abbey Wed Oct 20 22:00:23 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 09:28:34PM -0700, Mike Swingler wrote:
| > Java developers,
| >
| > The latest Java software updates for both Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.5
| > are now live and available to all Mac OS X customers via Software
| > Update. If you installed any of the developer previews, running
| > Software Update will automatically bring you up to date with the
| > final GM version.
|
| The release notes are now available at:

<http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#releasenotes/Java/JavaSnowLeopardUpdate3LeopardUpdate8RN>

Let me restate that, with an appropriate message subject.

Java is now deprecated!

Or at least, the version of Java that Apple provides is.

What does this mean, Mike?  Will Oracle step up to the plate and be
responsible for providing Java on Mac OS X now?

Should I plan on telling all the users of our Java app on Mac that
they shouldn't plan on ever upgrading past Snow Leopard?

 Jon