java-dev@lists.apple.com

Re: Gatekeeper on MacOS 10.7 Josh Marinacci Tue Apr 03 20:00:23 2012

The short version is: there will be a Java 7 for Mac. It will come from
Oracle/Sun, not Apple, and it will update itself.  Thus it will be just like
the JRE on Windows and Linux.

However, they still recommend bundling a JRE with your app instead of the
system install. Also, if you want to put a Java app in the Mac App Store, then
you must bundle a JRE.

JRE = end user copy of Java. Fairly small (Windows version has usually been in
the 7 to 10mb range)
JDK = developer copy of Java, including compiler, tools, etc. Huge. > 50MB.

Regarding the app bundling tools, I have this Ant task which will make a .app
bundle for a Java app on today's Mac OSX (Lion), but it will not embed a JRE.
This tool also will export an EXE or JNLP or double clickable jar.

http://joshondesign.com/2012/02/26/AppBundler_new_project

I'm going to donate my code to a larger project on Java.net that will be
similar and also support JRE embedding on Java 7+.

I hope this clears things up.

- Josh

--
Josh Marinacci