javamail-interest@java.sun.com

Re: Message read/unread notifications Bill Shannon Thu Feb 26 12:00:43 2009

Jim Durrell wrote:
I'm using javamail to connect to the gmail "INBOX" folder.  The code
registers various listeners and then calls idle() on the folder.  Everything
connects fine and receives notifications when a message arrives or is
archived.  Is it possible to also receive notification when a message is
read or marked unread?  I've added a MessageChangedListener, but it does not
get called.

I've enabled the tracing in javamail, and the last thing I see is the
+idling message.  When I read messages in the gmail web interface, there is
no tracing output from javamail, suggesting that gmail isn't sending this
information.  Am I setting something up wrong, or is this a known
limitation?

It's possible for the IMAP protocol to notify you of flag changes
made by other clients, but I'm not sure how many servers actually
do that.  Likely Gmail does not.