ledger-smb-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Re: [Ledger-smb-users] Running away from SQL-Ledger Armaghan Saqib Wed Apr 21 01:01:13 2010

Luke wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Armaghan Saqib wrote:
>
>> 1. LedgerSMB 1.2 support will discontinue soon. (In a year or so)
>>
> Did Chris actually say that?
Yes. I asked that question on the list. I don't remember exactly (quick
archives search could not get me that email) but he said something like
it will be supported as long as Postgresql 8.3 is supported (which is
about 6-12 months).  The problems might arise with new Linux
distributions containing new versions of postgresql, DBD and other perl
module dependencies.
> Additionally, it being open source, support
> is at the discretion of the community is it not?

That's the one of the benefit of the open source. But the problem is
that most developers move to the next cool thing (LSMB 1.3, 2.0) etc.
because clients are always asking for the latest and the greatest. And
it is not always possible for small shops (like me) to keep supporting a
number of entirely different code bases.

I have just started supporting a few LSMB installations and also about
to offer hosting. While doing a custom work on LSMB for a client I did
discover few minor issues and reported one of these (customer/vendor
lookup do not honor start/end dates) to the list. So I might be
contributing any support/fixes in future. But I shall be really happy if
the LSMB team can announce a bit extended support period like 2-5 years etc.

Regards
Armaghan
--
http://www.ledger123.com/