lfs-chat@linuxfromscratch.org

Re: Introducing myself Aleksandar Kuktin Fri Feb 10 12:01:50 2012

>On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:38:27 +0000
>Andrew Benton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 03:14:27 -0200
> Rodrigo Marcondes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Fellas,
> >
> > My name is Rodrigo, and I'm a Computer Science student on Brazil.
> > I'm starting the Linux From Scratch 7.0, and liking the way things
> > are going.
> > I'm still preparing the environment for developing, and reading
> > about most of the stuff on Linux that I have to comprehend to make
> > a better use of the book. I have experience with Ubuntu mostly, but
> > I want to try an distro much less expensive in the means of
> > processing, I'm going to try using it on a 1.7GHZ notebook, a
> > really limited one.
>
> I would say that if processing power is limited LFS is not a good
> choice. I use LFS on my netbook but I wouldn't like to use it as my
> primary machine. Installing some things (gcc, Firefox, Webkit) take
> hours. If there was some problem that made the build fail, it could
> take days to try several times. I develop my build scripts on my main
> desktop machine and only set them to run on the netbook when I'm
> confident that they're going to work; that way it can just be left all
> day.
> Another problem is space. It only has a small SSD so my root partition
> is 4GB which means I have to stop half way to strip all the binaries
> to save space.
>
> > So any suggestions would be of truly inspiration.
>
> A faster computer makes a big difference. In my experience more cores
> help, but so does more RAM and particularly more on chip cache. You
> can't have too much on chip cache.
>
> Andy

But after you get through the build phase, few things out there beat
LFS on a resource constrained system.

So, it'll take an eternity to build, but will give you the most bang
your hardware can make.

--
   Fourth law of programming:
   Anything that can go wrong wi