lfs-chat@linuxfromscratch.org

Re: lfs-chat Digest, Vol 1245, Issue 1 Andy Bennett Sat Feb 11 06:00:41 2012

Hi,

>> > My name is Rodrigo, and I'm a Computer Science student on Brazil.
>> > I'm starting the Linux From Scratch 7.0, and liking the way things are
>> > going.
>> > I'm still preparing the environment for developing, and reading about most
>> > of the stuff on Linux that I have to comprehend to make a better use of the
>> > book. I have experience with Ubuntu mostly, but I want to try an distro
>> > much less expensive in the means of processing, I'm going to try using it
>> > on a 1.7GHZ notebook, a really limited one.
>
> I would say that if processing power is limited LFS is not a good
> choice. I use LFS on my netbook but I wouldn't like to use it as my
> primary machine. Installing some things (gcc, Firefox, Webkit) take
> hours. If there was some problem that made the build fail, it could
> take days to try several times. I develop my build scripts on my main
> desktop machine and only set them to run on the netbook when I'm
> confident that they're going to work; that way it can just be left all
> day.
> Another problem is space. It only has a small SSD so my root partition
> is 4GB which means I have to stop half way to strip all the binaries to
> save space.
>
>> > So any suggestions would be of truly inspiration.
>
> A faster computer makes a big difference. In my experience more cores
> help, but so does more RAM and particularly more on chip cache. You
> can't have too much on chip cache.

Oh My! You kids today have it easy. ;-)
My first LFS build was on a Cyrix-233MHz system with 32MB of RAM and it
only took me a few evenings. :-)

...but Andrew is right. Things have gotten faster and packages have got
bigger. GCC especially suffers as it can eat into swap on a small system
and then it takes ~10 times as long compared to having enough RAM in the
first place.

As usual, the really important things are having an appropriate amount
of RAM and cache for your workload. Fast disks are a close 2nd. If you
have those things then raw processor is largely irrelevant: anything you
can buy today will be fast enough. Of course, some of the more wimpy
processors don't have much cache: that's what really hampers their
performance.

Good luck with the build and remember it's all about building a balanced
system rather than trying to brute force it with a big processor.

Regards,
@ndy

http://www.ashurst.eu.org/
0x7EBA75FF