lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org

Re: ALSA sound module does not automatically start Richard Lightman Sat Aug 31 04:24:53 2002

* Daniel Brewer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-08-31 12:09]:
> Hello all,
>
> I have installed ALSA and I have managed to get the sound to work (!).
> The only problem is that the sound modules are not loaded automatically
> on startup.  Everytime I want sound I have to type:
>
> modprobe snd-ens1371
>
> Hmmmmm.  I don't really understand why this is so.  Here is the sound
> bit of my /etc/modules.etc:
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-card-ens1371
> options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias snd-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias snd-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias snd-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias snd-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias snd-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> post-install snd-card-ens1371 /usr/sbin/aslactl restore
>
> I am sure it is something to do with me not understanding modules
> properly.
>
> Any suggestions?

That looks about right for static device nodes, but I am not certain
as I use devfs. If you use devfs, you will need this in /etc/modules:

alias /dev/snd*         snd-card-0
alias /dev/sound        snd-card-0
alias /dev/sound/mixer  snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/sound/sequencer* snd-seq-oss