lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org

Re: [blfs-support] pcre-8.30 Fernando de Oliveira Sun Feb 12 14:00:42 2012

Em 12-02-2012 17:09, Bruce Dubbs escreveu:
> Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>> LFS 6.5, 6.7, 6.8 and SVN-20111210.
>>
>> Building pcre-8.30 was a little difficult.
>>
>> "grep: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.0: cannot
>> open shared object file: No such file or directory".
> What program is using libpcre?

grep. That error message is from pcre-8.30 build log. It is called from the
build script, after installation and ldconfig:

      BUILD_DIR_SIZE=`du -sck \
      $TMPDIR/$BUILDDIR | grep total | cut -d"t" -f1`

I believe you recognize. It is from your suggestion to me, some months ago. And
it is good, not only for the intended purpose, but it warned me, with that
complaint. I should not have tried to reboot without fixing pcre before.

Also it is a shame that I should have also paid more attention to the remarks
on BLFS pcre-8.30 page *Command Explanations*

"--libdir=/lib: This option makes it install its libraries into /lib. If you
reinstall Grep after installing PCRE, Grep will get linked against PCRE and
this may cause problems during the boot process if /usr is a separate mount
point. If you have /usr/lib on the same partition as /lib you can omit this
option"

as one further warning to solve the issue before rebooting.

> I always recommend booting to level 3 and using startx and not ?dm for
> exactly this type of problem.

I used to do that for months (or even years?) until one day I read about
security issues if not using a dm, and installed slim. I have spent about an
hour now, trying to find it if it was on Arch or Gentoo, without success. As I
do not have much security knowledge, I believed it.

Also, I notice that most linux distros use one.

Please, I would like advice on that, as life would be much easier without dm's.

--
[]s,
Fernando