lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org

Re: [lfs-support] 6.06 Creating Essential Files and Symlinks Bruce Dubbs Tue Feb 14 11:02:14 2012

Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:53:25 -0800
> Qrux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> "Empirical" testing shows that login writes to btmp.  I infer, from that
>> description given at TLDP, that everything that logs a bad-login attempt
>> (e.g., login) ought to be writing to this file.  It is NOT an SSH-specific
>> thing.
>
> You appear to be wrong. login writes to /var/log/wtmp,
> not /var/login/btmp. If I try to login as root (on tty1) and
> enter the wrong password nothing gets written to /var/login/btmp. Maybe
> login _should_ be writing the failed login attempt to /var/log/btmp,
> maybe login is broken?
>
> The only application on my system that writes to /var/login/btmp is
> ssh, so I suggest that we move creating this file to the ssh page in
> BLFS.

I've already fixed the problem.  Moving it is more trouble than it's
worth.  Besides, there may be other packages that use it, e.g. PAM, but
I don't know for sure.

Besides btmp goes with wtmp and utmp which are used.

   -- Bruce