lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org

Re: [blfs-support] pcre-8.30 Fernando de Oliveira Tue Feb 14 18:00:19 2012

Em 13-02-2012 12:59, Andrew Benton escreveu:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 07:24:05 -0800 (PST)
> Fernando de Oliveira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> ... what would be a reasonably secure way to start X? ... I am using
>> "startx" from ".bash_profile"at LFS "svn 7.0" and LXDM on the other LFS's.
> I also used slim for a while but stopped using it because of security
> problems (see
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-support/2011-October/041451.html)
> What I do to start X is use a simple boot script with this in it:
>
> user=andy
> su - ${user} -c "xinit /etc/X11/xinitrc &> ~/.x-session-errors"
>
> Andy
Thank you very much, Andy.

It took a while to answer you, because there were localization issues. Last and
annoying one was the keyboard layout indicator on lxpanel  which was displaying
US, instead of BR as default. I was going to write this, and suddenly it
switched to the right one without my intervention.

Hoping to some env variables could be used when calling X, I have adapted a
little your instructions:

        user=fernando
        su - ${user} -l -c "env LANG=pt_BR.utf8 xinit ~/.xinitrc &>
~/.x-session-errors"

If you tell me that for some reason I should do /etc/X11/xinitrc instead of
~/.xinitrc, I will change immeadiately.

I have done it in LFS6.7, and now will do in the others.

About the security problems with slim, I thought, when I followed the thread,
that it would not concern me, because I was using lxdm. I do not know what a
"fork bomb" is and still do not know how to "limit the number of processes and
protect against a fork bomb".

Thanks again.

--
[]s,