lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org

Re: [blfs-support] pcre-8.30 Simon Geard Wed Feb 15 02:01:10 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 21:04 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>
> > I do not know what a "fork bomb" is and still do not know how to
> > "limit the number of processes and protect against a fork bomb".
>
> Take a look at wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_bomb
>
> You can protect against it by limiting the number of processes available
> to a user.  Take a look at the bash man page and search for ulimit.  If
> you want a little more detail, it is basically a kernel system call.
> See 'man setrlimit'.

On a related note, don't run "make -j", without giving a numeric
parameter. Doing so attempts to perform the compilation with as many
parallel processes as the dependency tree permits. Doing this on
something like the kernel *will* crash the machine.

(Yes, that *is* what I did yesterday, thanks to an unfortunate typo. Six
threads is good, but several thousand not so much.)

Simon.