lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org

Re: [lfs-support] 6.06 Creating Essential Files and Symlinks Andrew Benton Wed Feb 15 03:00:49 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:05:09 -0800
Qrux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also, did you install shadow from LFS?
>
> Because I see this in my /etc/login.defs:
>
>       xlapp [/var/log] # grep tmp /etc/login.defs
>       # If defined, login failures will be logged here in a utmp format.
>       # last, when invoked as lastb, will read /var/log/btmp, so...
>       FTMP_FILE       /var/log/btmp
>
> And I see this in in shadow:
>
>       xlapp [~/lfs/src/shadow-4.1.4.3/etc] # grep tmp login.defs
>       # If defined, login failures will be logged here in a utmp format.
>       # last, when invoked as lastb, will read /var/log/btmp, so...
>       FTMP_FILE       /var/log/btmp
>
> I assume (perhaps tacitly) that this is being installed on your system, too,
> if you're installing shadow.  Again, IDK if it's login that's writing to this
> file.  But something is.  Your data differs from mine, but I don't think that
> qualifies my data as being "wrong".  LOL

The difference is I install PAM before I install shadow. If you look at
the shadow page in BLFS it has:
install -v -m644 /etc/login.defs /etc/login.defs.orig &&
for FUNCTION in LASTLOG_ENAB MAIL_CHECK_ENAB \
                PORTTIME_CHECKS_ENAB CONSOLE \
                MOTD_FILE NOLOGINS_FILE PASS_MIN_LEN \
                SU_WHEEL_ONLY MD5_CRYPT_ENAB \
                CONSOLE_GROUPS ENVIRON_FILE \
                ULIMIT ENV_TZ ENV_HZ ENV_SUPATH \
                ENV_PATH QMAIL_DIR MAIL_DIR MAIL_FILE \
                CHFN_AUTH FAILLOG_ENAB QUOTAS_ENAB FTMP_FILE \
                OBSCURE_CHECKS_ENAB CRACKLIB_DICTPATH \
                PASS_CHANGE_TRIES PASS_ALWAYS_WARN ISSUE_FILE
do
    sed -i "s/^$FUNCTION/# &/" /etc/login.defs
done

So shadow doesn't write to /var/log/btmp if it's installed after PAM.
Thanks for your help looking at this. I'd forgotten about modifying
/etc/login.defs when installing shadow after PAM.

Andy