lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org

Re: [blfs-support] Make 3.82 Dev86src triple bug fixes patch Michael Shell Fri Feb 17 04:01:02 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:24:34 -0600
Bruce Dubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Personally, I don't think LFS has an obligation to support 16 year
> old code that is needed for a boot loader that we don't support.

I understand that. However, as far as lilo goes, they seem to have
restarted development in 2010 (and I also wonder why this is - what is
not liked about current grub?):

http://lilo.alioth.debian.org/

and I wanted to see what they've done. Heck they even added a graphical
Tux boot screen. Even back when lilo was the only game in town, I never
liked it that lilo depended on the Dev86 package. Although the 0.16.18
release (which is what I grabbed and why I did not see there were other
build problems with 0.16.17, or on x86_64) was as recent as 2010.

http://www.debath.co.uk/dev86/

In any case, the Make patch does fix three known bugs in Make 3.82.
Dev86 happened to be the only package that I've seen that tripped on
Make 3.82 so far, but there might be others out there (the two other
bug reports to make did not come from Dev86 users). If anyone happens
to know any other names off hand please do let me know.

It is my understanding that Make 3.82 did tighten the rules with regard
to the use of tabs rather than spaces which causes some existing
Makefiles to break, but that is not a bug in Make, but rather its
documented behavior and so it is the affected Makefiles that need
correction. Eric S. Raymond even once wrote in one of his books that he
wished the original author of make had never relied on tabs in the
first place.

  Cheers,

  Mike