log4j-dev@logging.apache.org

Re: [logging] log4j 1.3 support Joerg Hohwiller Sun Oct 09 13:47:35 2005

Hello world!

Joerg Hohwiller wrote:
> Joerg Hohwiller wrote:

>>>Hi there,
>
> Hi again,
>
>>>[snip]
>>>
>>>I can not see all your guyz problems. I replaced Priority with Level and
>>>removed
>>>the "isAsignableFrom" section and everyting works and compiles fine. Even the
>>>TRACE is defined in Level and Priority so there is not even reflection magic
>>>required.
>>>Am I missing something??? Maybe I should get the 1.3 alpha release and have a
>>>look if I can find the problem Simon was talking about...
>>>The tests all worked excellent with 1.2.12 and Log4j12Logger works fine with
>>>prior versions. And as I said that is how the log4j guyz told to do it a long
>>>time ago. I did not check this with log4j versions prior than 1.2.6. But as I
>>>pointed out earlier, the Log4J12Logger is using the log4j type "Logger"
>>>anyways
>>>and that came together with the type "Level".
>>>Maybe we do not even need two Log4j Loggers - what do you think?
>
> Is it if you compile the jcl againts log4j 1.2 and then run it with 1.3 and
> vice
> versa? Maybe that is the point I did not think about earlier...
> I will check when I find the time.
Exactly this is the point. This issue really hurts. Has someone already pointed
this out on the log4j mailing list. I am not sure if they see this issue so
clearly, do they?

In the end I have to agree that there is no clean and easy way to support both
log4j 1.2 and 1.3 in one logger. There is a way though, but nobody will want it.
Additionally the Log4J12Logger has to be compiled against log4j-1.2 and
Log4J13Logger has to be compiled againts log4j-1.3 but both go to the same jar.
This issue could not even be handled with m2 (maven2).

>>>Regards
>>>  Jörg
>
> Jörg
and me again ;)