mac-opengl@lists.apple.com

Re: Fragment Shaders and FBOs Kent Miller Fri Oct 22 10:00:24 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Ben Supnik wrote:

>> 1. Can all stock Intel macs do FBOs and shaders?
>
> It depends on what you mean by "do".  For our product (X-Plane), we don't
> just want "works", we want "works really fast without tons of bugs".  So...we
> care about the quality of the implementation.
>
> Thus, we pretty much ENTIRELY discount the Intel 9xx GPUs...the issue here is
> that Apple's OpenGL stack will try to make up with software what the hw can't
> do.  For example, the 950 claims to run GLSL shaders, but it's not running
> the vertex shader in hardware, thus it's not really doing what we want.

It is probably worth noting that the 950 doesn't have vertex transform hardware
period.  It doesn't matter if you are using shaders, ARB programs, or the fixed
function path, it is being done on the CPU.

Mac-opengl mailing list      ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/mac-opengl/alexiscircle%40gmail.com

This email sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]