mahogany-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Re: [M-User] added OpenPGP signing; new Win32 snapshot Robert Cernansky Tue Aug 05 14:02:07 2008

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 20:59:10 +0200 Vadim Zeitlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 20:25:45 +0200 Robert Cernansky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> RC> I have some suggestions to UI. It seems to me a bit confusing to see
> RC> an empty textbox next to 'Sign Message as' checkbox. It tempts me to
> RC> fill my user name there even if I don't have to. Or it looks like I'm
> RC> going to sign the message as 'nobody'. I think the best would be to
> RC> put the 'Sign Message' toggle button to toolbar instead of checkbox at
> RC> bottom (which also takes lot of space at the bottom of composer
> RC> window). The 'as' textbox can be removed at all -- ability to set it
> RC> in preferences should be enough.
>
>  OTOH I just had another idea: what about putting the checkbox, or a toggle
> button -- if anybody can find a decent icon for "sign" action -- near the
> "From" field? This would be a logical place for it. But of course this
> wouldn't work if the "From" field is not shown at all :-(

This sounds good to me. I like it even more than my original idea with
toolbar. There will be enough space for button/checkbox as well as for
'as' textbox. I do not know under what circumstances the From field is
not shown in compose window. Are there any?

>  So I still don't see what would be the best UI solution here. BTW, I also
> think that the current "message body" and "attachment" pages are pretty bad
> and the "Wrap" buttons take too much space as well. I'd probably like to
> have the message body window on its own (i.e. not inside any notebook) and
> combine attachments and PGP controls in some kind of window below it. What
> do you think?

I'm not sure about the window below the message body... How tall it
will be? How the attachments and PGP controls will be shown there?
Anyway I'm quite satisfied with Message Body and Attachments tabs
approach (or I got used to it; I'm not sure how new users are
looking to it).

But maybe... the "wrap" buttons could be moved to the toolbar. The PGP
controls can replace them then (if the From field will not be the
choice).

Robert

--
Robert Cernansky