mailman-developers@python.org

Re: [Mailman-Developers] hostname -s Mark Sapiro Wed Feb 01 08:24:46 2012

Systems Support <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It turns out that "hostname -s" does very different things on linux and
>solaris hosts. On linux, it harmlessly reports the hostname, without
>qualifying it. On solaris, it silently changes the host name to "-s". This
>seems to cause Mailman to start throwing away mail, with error messages like "
>Low level smtp error: (8, 'node name or service name not known'), msgid: xxxx"
>
>Now, this difference in behaviour, between harmless and bizarre, is the stuff
>of the Unix-haters' handbook
>http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/unix-haters/preface.html
>
>However, It seems to me pretty disastrous that Mailman should throw away mail
>just because its own hostname changed.

The errors you report are from the Python smtplib module used by
Mailman to send mail. See the FAQs at <http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9>
and <http://wiki.list.org/x/AoE9> for a little more info.

If you believe the smtplib errors are not valid in this case, it is a
Python smtplib issue and would need to be addressed there.

--
Mark Sapiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        The highway is for gamblers,