matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Re: [Matplotlib-users] Could basemap plot in a UTM projection? - pyproj documentation Jeff Whitaker Mon Apr 02 16:00:49 2012

On 4/2/12 4:02 PM, Mathew Topper wrote:
On 02/04/12 19:09, Jeff Whitaker wrote:

Mat: I just updated git master to add the 'k_0' keyword when using projection='tmerc'. This is the scaling factor along the central meridian, and is needed to exactly match the UTM definition. I also added a utmtest.py example, that shows how to plot a UTM zone, and convert Basemap coordinates to UTM coordinates.

-Jeff
--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449

Jeff, thanks again for all your help with this. I tried the example and it works great. My only question would be how to get the axis labels into meters rather than degrees. Any hints? I have found the customticks.py example. Is that the best route to take?
Mat: Just use 'suppress_ticks=False' when creating the Basemap instance, and you will get axis ticks in meters. If you want to use a custom tick formatter, use the customticks.py example as a guide.

-Jeff