musicbrainz-devel@musicbrainz.org

Re: [mb-devel] Amazon Asin AR doesn't show in RDF Matthew Exon Fri Aug 11 23:04:09 2006

Björn Krombholz wrote:
On 1/16/06, Robert Kaye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Jan 14, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Steve Wyles wrote:
I am tempted to do this:

1. De-tune the match script to be a broken link checker only.
2. If it finds an ASIN that is no longer valid, it enters a remove AR
URL moderation.

Does this ever happen? I thought ASINs are valid infinitly and if I
was amazon, I'd never delete any cover from my collection. ;)

Yes, this does happen. The most extreme case is when an ASIN turns out to be illegal, e.g. Nazi stuff on amazon.de. But it can also happen if a publisher doesn't want a particular item to be sold or even displayed any more. It probably also happens if an ASIN is "deprecated" in favour of some other ASIN that's attached to the same item, although I'm not certain what the web service does in that case.