musicbrainz-experts@musicbrainz.org

Re: [mb-experts] Web service: We need to adopt a ToS Don Redman Fri Aug 11 21:12:00 2006

I have reread the second blogpost and all the comments, and I must say, that I am completely confused:

What do the ToS apply to: The data, the service, or the software using it?

If they only apply to the service, as you say they do, then why do they put conditions on the usage of data or even the software?

Does the live data feed also encompass the replication feed for servers? Yes or no?

It seems to me that you _mean_ something like this:
The _service_ can be used at no cost, by client applications that use the _data_ in a noncommercial way.

Then suddenly you say that _applications_ that are open souce, may use the service for free. However, as the anonymous comment correctly stated, an open source app might very well use the _data_ in a commercial way.

If the data (of the complete data feed) is CC-by-nc anyway, then why do you need a ToS? IIUC the license of the data states that it must not be used for commercial purposes. Period.

I am sory if I am not helpful here, but I am really confused. Maybe you should ask a lawyer to put whatever you mean into words that nobody understands. This way people will not be confused anymore, but just reckon that this is legal stuff they don't dig. :-)

  DonRedman

--
Words that are written in CamelCase refer to WikiPages:
Visit http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ the best MusicBrainz documentation around! :-)