musicbrainz-experts@musicbrainz.org

Re: [mb-experts] Clouds Don Redman Sat Aug 12 23:21:37 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 00:55:32 +0100, Simon Reinhardt wrote:

Note that this is just an abstract idea that came to my mind. I'm not proposing it for MB but just ask for a little brain storming. :) Perhaps I can code a simple version of it if I ever come to write a Java API for the new webservice.

I like it. Basically these are tags, just like last.fm uses them. You can tag any MB Object with a string. That's all there is to it. Your syntax is just an aid to tag many opbects that have certain properties in one go.

The interesting question with tags is, under which conditions can people add them and change them.

AFAIU delicious, flickr, and folksonomy in general it is crucial to bind the tag to the user who _uses_ it. A tag is not simply "this element is tagged as 'xxx'" but "user 'xy' tagged this element as 'xxx'". this way you can filter tag by just using
 - your tags
 - everybody's tags
 - everybodys tags except from people you consider "spammers"

And this makes a moderation system obsolete.

  DonRedman

--
Words that are written in CamelCase refer to WikiPages:
Visit http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ the best MusicBrainz documentation around! :-)