mythtv-users@mythtv.org

Re: [mythtv-users] Must mythbackend be running when executing optimize_mythdb.pl and/or mythlink.pl? Michael T. Dean Sat Apr 07 08:03:06 2012

On 04/07/2012 01:47 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
     >  Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 11:05:16 -0400
     >  From: "Michael T. Dean"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

     >  Also, the only reason we don't automatically run optimize_mythdb.pl type
     >  functionality (repair/analyze/optimize)--we already have code in MythTV
     >  to do it all--is because if it were being run and the MySQL server
     >  crashes (mysqld crash/power outage/full file system/...) during a table
     >  repair, it's critical that a repair is run, again, after restarting the
     >  server and before any client attempts to read any data from the table
     >  that was being repaired--otherwise, you could lose all of the data in
     >  the table.

That's some gotcha.  Is this documented anywhere?  Can a query,
even of a damaged table, result in a write?

[I've been lucky enough never see a crash -during- a table repair,
in or out of Myth.]

Yep.  It's documented on the MySQL site.  :)

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/repair-table.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysqlcheck.html

Mike