nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com

[Nighthawk Lovers] Re: 83 NightHawk Engine question surfswab Thu Feb 16 15:01:25 2012

Try this:

Visually trace the crankcase vent tube to a separator device attached
to the bottom of the airbox.  Then trace another tube (clear plastic)
from the separator down to the ground, where it terminates with a
plastic cap/plug.  Unplug it and drain the tube.

This is a collector tube for blow-by gases and water vapor from
heating/cooling cycles in the crankcase.  It appears to be a little
known and often overlooked maintenance item.

The separator allows blow-by to recycle thru the air filter and carbs
to the combustion chambers where it is burned.  The water vapor
collects in that tube.  If the tube is not emptied regularly, it can
build up, back up and make a mess of things.

That may be the brown liquid you're describing -- watery and smells
faintly like alcohol.