oauth@googlegroups.com

[oauth] HTTP Status Code 401 Zhihong Thu Mar 12 15:01:19 2009

OAuth spec uses HTTP 401 (Unauthorized) as error code. We just
discovered that our HTTP client logs a warning (missing WWW-
Authenticate header) when receiving this status code because it
expects HTTP authentication when receiving this code.

Considering the special meaning of 401 in HTTP authentication, would
it be better to use 403 (Forbidden) instead?