openbd@googlegroups.com

Re: [OpenBD] Re: Book recommendations? Alex Skinner Sun Feb 19 01:00:10 2012

The problem with ORM in 9 was in my opinion it was 2 versions too late.
Many people who have that requirement have rolled their own using e.g. the
GetMetaData() with CFCs, there are many example of simple ORM like
frameworks. My company has at least 4 different ones we've rolled for
different purposes.

The problem with any abstraction is that developers can over use it then
wonder why the performance sucks or their config files are more complex to
maintain than equivalent self rolled DAOs or Stored Procedures.

I know of countless people that started using ORM or their own self rolled
arrays of value objects only to have to revert when the performance sucked
when scaled.

So for me lack of ORM is a good thing, the engineering effort VS reward is
highly questionable.

My 2p

On 19 February 2012 06:25, nitish pandey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> no ORM doesn't bother you at all? All that science of maintainability is
> bs?
>
> 2012/2/17 Peter J. Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> Trenatos said the following on 02/16/2012 01:06 PM:
>>
>>  Which version of CF is OpenBD compatible with?
>>>
>> ACF9 except no ORM (which doesn't bother me at all) and maybe a few other
>> things I don't recall.
>>

>> --
>> Peter J. Farrell
>> OpenBD Steering Committee / Mach-II Lead Developer
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> http://blog.maestropublishing.**com <http://blog.maestropublishing.com>
>> Identi.ca / Twitter: @maestrofjp