openbd@googlegroups.com

Re: [OpenBD] Re: Book recommendations? Matthew Woodward Sun Feb 19 08:00:20 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM, nitish pandey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> no ORM doesn't bother you at all? All that science of maintainability is
> bs?
>

>From my perspective, yes.

ORM is very much a double-edged sword.
http://blogs.tedneward.com/2006/06/26/The+Vietnam+Of+Computer+Science.aspx

Short version from my perspective:
* You're trading one set of work for another, namely learning the tool well
enough to use it well
* You're trading a saving in development time (ostensibly; doesn't tend to
work out this way in the real world so much) for a performance hit on
everything that happens at runtime.

It doesn't take long for people jumping into ORM to discover that it's not
the silver bullet they think it is. It doesn't take this area of work away,
it just changes its focus. Anyone who thinks they can just flip ORM on and
forget about persistence is kidding themselves.

And in my completely frank opinion I think it was implemented quite poorly
in CF 9, hence our reluctance to replicate it.

--
Matthew Woodward
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please do not send me proprietary file formats such as Word, PowerPoint,
etc. as attachments.

online documentation: http://openbd.org/manual/
   google+ hints/tips: https://plus.google.com/115990347459711259462
     http://groups.google.com/group/openbd?hl=en