printing@lists.apple.com

Re: 64 bit to 32 bit Michael Sweet Fri Nov 13 14:00:49 2009

On Nov 13, 2009, at 12:19 PM, Glen Wernersbach wrote:
> The is a lot of other processing that would therotically be faster and lets
> face it. Apple is moving to a 64 bit kernel.

And theoretically using a 64-to-32 shim process to make use of that 32-bit
dylib will negate any performance improvement you'll see with your filter
compiled as 64-bit. Moreover, most machines sit basically idle driving a
printer - interface bandwidth and print engine speed are usually the bottleneck.

Regardless of whether the kernel is running 64-bit, Apple still supports and
ships 32-bit applications, so my "official" recommendation is to build the
filter 32-bit... If you want to do something with a 32-bit dylib from a 64-bit
application, you'll need to use a 32-bit shim program with the necessary
interfaces to transfer data and function calls between the 64-bit and 32-bit
sides.