puppet-users@googlegroups.com

[Puppet Users] Multiple default providers for package: dpkg, pip; using dpkg, Why? Kyle Anderson Tue Feb 21 19:00:08 2012

Can someone help me understand how why this is happening? I have two
Ubuntu laptops that are pretty much the same. Neither of them have pip
installed, but even if I do install pip, it doesn't seem to make a
difference.

I've boiled down my manifests to try to reduce the problem, and this
is how it manifests:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/# puppet apply -e  'package { openssh-server: ensure
=> latest; }'
warning: Found multiple default providers for package: dpkg, pip;
using dpkg
err: /Stage[main]//Package[openssh-server]: Could not evaluate: Could
not get latest version: Execution of '/usr/bin/dpkg-deb --show '
returned 2: dpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive `': No such file
or directory
notice: Finished catalog run in 0.39 seconds
Debug output: http://pastebin.com/uw6E6pSV
Facter output: http://pastebin.com/MJTBGCRQ

Other laptop works fine:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# puppet apply -e  'package { openssh-server: ensure =>
latest; }'
notice: Finished catalog run in 0.32 seconds
Debug output: http://pastebin.com/vAZffw3n
Facter output: http://pastebin.com/7kFHy6j0

I've done --debug stuff, and I can kinda see it testing for the
existence of other package managers, but not for pip.

But it looks like it is trying to use dpkg-deb, but something goes
wrong.

What I would like to know is why it fails on the one laptop, but not
the other. What I really want to know is how I can better troubleshoot
this myself :) It is really stumping me.  Let me know if I can provide
more information to help diagnose it.

It as if puppet on the broken one is actually trying to use dpkg
instead of apt, but in a wrong way, and the pip thing is a red-
herring?

Kyle