[Puppet Users] RE: enterprise puppet architecture Steve Shipway Thu Feb 23 00:00:28 2012
Our Puppet system here is currently managing about 500 nodes. We anticipate about 1000 eventually. I have had to reduce the client frequency to once every 4 hours; it seems that the maximum that can be handled by a single (dual-CPU, 8GB) puppet master is 200 nodes. After that, performance drops quickly and I notice many failed manifests. This is with Puppet 2.7.10 on the master. We've bought a copy of ProPuppet (as Jeff Watts recommended) and we're planning to make a distributed system as instructed in there -- one puppet dashboard/report server, multiple puppet master servers, and one dev server. Puppet configurations held is subversion and synchronised on all puppet masters, which would themselves be behind a load balancer. This is still in the planning stage, though. I'd be interested in hearing your experiences in managing your extra-large system; I can also share our experiences in how we implemented and manage control of this system, if you'd like to contact me off-list. When we first implemented, we engaged a Puppet Labs consultant for a few days to help with the initial work. I can definitely recommend doing this if you've no puppet experience, as one place Puppet lacks is documentation! Steve Steve Shipway University of Auckland ITS UNIX Systems Design Lead [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Ph: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86487 -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group. To post to this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
- [Puppet Users] enterprise puppet architecture Brown, Rodrick 2012/02/22
- Re: [Puppet Users] enterprise puppet architecture Jeffrey Watts 2012/02/22
- Re: [Puppet Users] enterprise puppet architecture Rayson Ho 2012/02/22
- [Puppet Users] RE: enterprise puppet architecture Steve Shipway 2012/02/23 <=
- Re: [Puppet Users] RE: enterprise puppet architecture Luke Bigum 2012/02/23
- RE: [Puppet Users] RE: enterprise puppet architecture Steve Shipway 2012/02/24