puppet-users@googlegroups.com

[Puppet Users] RE: enterprise puppet architecture Steve Shipway Thu Feb 23 00:00:28 2012

Our Puppet system here is currently managing about 500 nodes.  We anticipate
about 1000 eventually.

I have had to reduce the client frequency to once every 4 hours; it seems that
the maximum that can be handled by a single (dual-CPU, 8GB) puppet master is
200 nodes.  After that, performance drops quickly and I notice many failed
manifests.  This is with Puppet 2.7.10 on the master.

We've bought a copy of ProPuppet (as  Jeff Watts recommended) and we're
planning to make a distributed system as instructed in there -- one puppet
dashboard/report server, multiple puppet master servers, and one dev server.
Puppet configurations held is subversion and synchronised on all puppet
masters, which would themselves be behind a load balancer.  This is still in
the planning stage, though.

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences in managing your extra-large
system; I can also share our experiences in how we implemented and manage
control of this system, if you'd like to contact me off-list.  When we first
implemented, we engaged a Puppet Labs consultant for a few days to help with
the initial work.  I can definitely recommend doing this if you've no puppet
experience, as one place Puppet lacks is documentation!

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead