quartz-dev@lists.apple.com

Re: Academic paper credit and references for CI Filter Generator and Quartz Composer Daniel Beatty Mon Feb 25 00:06:55 2008

 Greetings Jeffrey,
As I responded to Dr. Johnson, I agree with the reasoning.  In the case of
using the QC or CI documents at large, attributing authorship to Apple seems
quite acceptable.  BiBTeX tends to take it as a hassle, that can be overcome.
In the cases of specifically patented portions of QC or CI such as CI Filter
Generator, I took a look for the specific paten itself to determine authorship,
if possible.

A couple of the targeted publications for this work are ACM's Queue, and some
of ACM's distributed computing and graphics (general and GPGPU) publications.
On the one hand, the discoveries made in these papers are significant in their
own right.   The technology that enables these concepts, namely Apple's QC and
CI, are under referenced in these publication and deserves its proper citing in
my papers.    This is obviously in Apple's interest as ACM is considered by
many computer scientists as the computer science professional organization.

Later,
Dan