quartz-dev@lists.apple.com

CGContextShowTextAtPoint Matrix Disobedience Mat Mon Jan 19 00:00:38 2009

Has anyone else noticed that translation factors in the text matrix aren't
observed by this function? Scale factors and rotation work but whatever is set
for tx and ty behaves as if 0.

What I'm talking about can be demonstrated by altering the sample JustDraw
(http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/JustDraw/listing1.html).

CGContextSetTextMatrix(ctx, CGAffineTransformMakeScale(1, -1));
can be changed to, for instance:
CGContextSetTextMatrix(ctx, CGAffineTransformMakeTranslation(50, 0));

The reflection-scaling built into the demo works as expected, but the
translation has no effect.

This behavior seems to be the same on iPhone or OS X. I don't know if this is
documented somewhere to be functioning as intended, but it sure seems wrong.